Fun Thing Number Seventeen: Followed crazy-man's advice (see previous post) and ordered the 'daily special' at the Mozart Cafe - which was roasted goose with red cabbage and dumplings - in honour of St Martin's Day. It was seriously, seriously, lip-smackingly good!
Hooray (again) for crazy-man!
Sorry goosey.
I went on to Wikipedia to have a gander about all the goose-i-ness. I couldn't really find anything about eating geese on St Martin's Day though. I was starting to lose faith in crazy-man but then I found this article on a restaurant website:
"We have known for decades that St. Martin’s Day (11 November) means goose. We eat goose in any form and any quantity. But why exactly goose? There is a wide range of legends and traditions in connection with St. Martin’s Day. According to the original legend Martin was a medieval saint who later became the patron saint of beggars and soldiers. Because of his good deeds e.g. once he offered his cloak to a beggar, Martin was appointed to be bishop. However, he was so humbled by this honour that he hid in a stable full of geese. The geese with their loud honking made so much noise that his whereabouts were soon uncovered and he was ordained as bishop."
At least it is along the same path. But really, it seems to be an equally unlikely version of events to me.
Number 18: Bought an excessive amount of chocolate at the duty free shop at Vienna airport - because it was called the Heinemann Duty Free Shop.
How could I not buy 4 boxes of Mozart Herzl? The really funny bit was explaining to the cash register dude why I was so excited to be buying all the chocolates - it's me! it's my name! I even had my passport out to prove that I wasn't crazy. Or maybe that's exactly what did make me look crazy: Heinemann is probably the most common surname in Austria for all I know.
This is the reception I got when I arrived in the store - they really lay it on for their brethren.
Wilkommen Frau Heinemann!
Number 19: Ate too many of my duty free chocolates while watching Sissi - the film about the last Austrian Empress. It was all a bit sickly.




No comments:
Post a Comment